- Have you ever felt powerless around certain foods?
- Have you ever experienced an overwhelming desire to lose yourself in binging a certain food?
- Do you find yourself craving your childhood favourites at times, not understanding why you do this?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then today’s podcast episode is for you. I’ve found a really interesting theme when I’ve been coaching with my clients this week.
If you’ve listened to some of the older episodes of this podcast, you’ll know I’m a big fan of the ‘joy eat’ – where you essentially eat whatever you want (and don’t overeat) once a week to counteract the feelings of deprivation and restriction that can come with diet mentality.
It’s really interesting that a lot of resistance to this comes up with everyone (including myself, so I get it!). I’ve heard thoughts like I can’t control myself around that food, I won’t be able to stop eating or I’ll undo all of my good work and put weight back on.
It’s so fascinating – after all most of the people I work with don’t want to diet anymore, yet they don’t trust themselves around this food!
Joy eats are not just about counteracting deprivation and restriction. They are also about reconditioning our desire for these foods we over desire. They are about learning to be a different way around these foods so we can trust ourselves not to overeat.
In today’s episode we discuss:
- the problem with avoiding these foods
- the benefits of reconditioning our over desire for this food
- how to use the tedious powerful exercise (link to PDF) with a joy eat to slow yourself down and really get conscious around these foods
What did you think? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.